What is Battle of the Books?
A fun literacy program opened to all 4th and 5th graders. This year we made some changes to our program... we are calling it Battle 2.0! It is a districtwide initiative that nurtures and supports students love for literature and recognizes/ celebrates their reading achievements within and outside the library and literacy curriculums.
Students will be asked to Retell, Reboot, Reformat and/ or Respond to their reading. Each student will have a passport that will be stamped when they complete an activity. The book list and passports will be sent home with students on Friday, November 2nd. Students will learn more details about the program in library class the following week!
How is the program the same as years past?
* Reading books from a District list
* Creating something to show you have read the book
* Receiving recognition for your work
* Book Talks offered during recess
* Having fun with other readers!
How is the program the different than before?
* Students will be given time in school to read & create
* More options to create and show what you have read
* New kinds of reward & recognition
* No single Orrington School battle but more opportunities to compete in mini battle competitions at school
* No single District battle competition but mini battles in the community like at Evanston Public Library
For students who want to be challenged to Remember details about a book, the Evanston Public Library will be hosting opportunities for mini battles... Likewise, students will have opportunities to compete in mini battles in school during both library class and at recess. Stay tuned for dates and details!
Held during recess. Open to all students. Parent volunteers lead book talks--- if you interested in helping, let me know!
* Students should bring a copy of the book if they have it
Links to the Battle 2.0 Activities
Students can work alone or with others on these activities in response to their reading. Some time will be given in library and at recess to work on these activities but we encourage students to work at home as well
Students receive recognition with every book read! Get a stamp in your passport and earn prizes as you go! Read 1 book or all 20--- You're still doing Battle!